|Publication Date||May 2010|
|Series||Palgrave Student Companions Series|
Interested in discovering how language works? Daunted by the prospect of studying linguistics at university? The English Language and Linguistics Companion is a tool-kit for the novice linguist. Integrating study skills with substantive coverage, it offers an innovative approach to the study of English language and linguistics, helping students see how their chosen discipline 'fits together'.
A one-stop resource, this practical and highly accessible guide:
• Provides a comprehensive overview of contemporary approaches to the study of language and outlines the contribution of significant scholars to the development of the field
• Introduces the core topics and concepts of linguistics and the study of language and summarizes key issues in applied linguistics
• Defines and illustrates the key terms and concepts in the discipline of linguistics
• Offers practical advice on the skills required when studying linguistics and suggests a range of possible career pathways
• Illustrates approaches to linguistic research and recommends resources for linguistic inquiry and the study of language
Packed full of information and guidance, this is an essential resource for prospective linguistics students and anyone with an interest in the study of language.